Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Bushy Nose Plecos Take Over A 20H

Well, in a past post I called my male bushy nose the worst father ever........this is certainly not the case. He and the female have produced two large spawns back to back and filled my old 20h with a wriggling, eating, pooping mass youngsters. At any given time there is at least one or two hanging off their parents, which doesn't appear to bother them much. In this video they are about a month and the small guys 2 weeks old now. Half of each spawn are long finned, not sure what color variation they will be but their 3 month old sister looks like a calico long fin and is really an attractive pleco. I'll be taking some of the older ones and some really nice green corys to the Finatics Tropical Fish store in Kennewick, WA at the end of this month.

I'm also taking some more Amazon Frogbit down to Finatics.  If you've never used or grown this aquatic plant I recommend it highly in your freshwater shrimp, community and fry tanks.  It propagates rapidly in my fry tubs with minimal care, helps them feel secure along with helping with the waste cycle.  The freshwater shrimp enjoy hanging from it and I'll also place food in the floating plants for them to consume without interference from the Cory fry at the bottom.  It is not an invasive plant like Duckweed and is easily removed.  FYI ramshorn snails will eat this plant.  I've found that Bladder snails will not though.


No comments:

Post a Comment