Friday, March 7, 2014

Fishroom Happenin's

We transitioned into our new fishroom over the last month.  So far so good, tanks cycling out and only a few mishaps and overflows ;)  New Micathermic heater working well.  HMF filters take a while to build up to good bacteria and become high functioning, we used our K1 filter media out of a canister filter to provide some good bugs for the tanks.  Our 30 gallon plant tank has been up and running for about a week now and all looks well.  We are taking photos and videoing its progress for sharing later.  Meanwhile the P82 Killies, misc. Corydoras, Bushy Nose Plecos and some fancy Guppies have been reproducing.  We also had our fist successful German Blue Ram reproduction.  I took it out of their "fins" this time and hand raised the babies.  They are growing and thriving in with a group of Corydoras similis and S. barbatus fry of the same age, along with some pond snails and a group of Cherry Shrimp.  The German Blue Ram fry are getting big enough to eat fry food and micro-worms, previously they have been eating Golden Pearl Powder and insuforia and we really had to strain our eyes to even see the fry!  On the Guppy front, we are finally getting some young guppies big enough for some males to begin coloring up and plan on taking a nice groups of youngsters and trios to Finatics Tropical Fish next month :)

On an interesting note, I walked into the fish room about 5 days ago to check on fry and see a Cherry Shrimp chewing on a German Blue Ram baby, it still had its yolk sack at this point.  I was stunned as I watched it rotate it, put its head in its mouth, rotate it and put its tail in its mouth!  I thought to myself "They lied! They all say Cherry Shrimp are harmless and this stupid thing is eating my babies", I was stunned.  I kept watching thinking I needed to pull all the shrimp from this fry tank.  Then I thought, no, I bet it was a dead fry and its just snacking.  All of this went through my head in a matter of seconds..............I was really bummed :(  Then I watch the shrimp toss the baby out and it drifted in the current for about an inch then swam off and joined its brothers and sisters on the sand, swimming and bouncing happily.  Whew!  Guess it needed to be cleaned off.........who knew.......what a relief not to have to remove the "killer" shrimps ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment