Friday, August 30, 2013

10 Gallon Killifish Set Up

Forgive my hasty cruddy cell phone photos of the set up :)
As the caption says, I found this tank on a back deck of the house where we rescued the cichlid (see previous posts on rescued tank).  The people had moved out and left giant huge piles of trash, hmmm I'll post those photos also, on the deck of the house and I spied this beauty up against an upright for the roof.  Didn't even have to seal it!  I washed it with salt and let it sit empty in the sun for almost a month before using it, lest there be a disease lurking...........



My new old 10 gallon tank I found in a pile of trash
You can see the tank by the post

Like wow and wow

More holy yucky wow



10 gallon set up as a Killifish spawning tank with my home made filter

I left the bottom bare to make retrieving the eggs easier with some Java Moss and Hornwort anchored at the bottom with a river rock.  Some pieces of Java Fern in there also and a whole bunch of floating plants like Amazon Frogbit, and hygrophilia trimmings.

I ran the filter in an established tank for 2 days to pick of some beneficial bacteria and also put some used filter floss in the tank next to the filter to speed things up.

I need to buy a glass 10 gallon lid, using rubbermaid tops right now, as killifish like to jump!





Tank is sitting on the breakfast bar, the Killi's are very friendly and outgoing


No comments:

Post a Comment