Monday, August 19, 2013

Under Siege.......

Somehow, somewhere Columnaris has been introduced to my two main tanks, the 36 bowfront and the 20H.  Both are heavily planted and have my treasured Corys housed within their glass walls.  Needless to say, I'm more stressed then the Corys at this point!  I am not sure whether the bacteria hitched a ride on a plant or if fish arrived already infected.  I'm leaning towards the kid's fancy guppies at this point as there is only ONE left out of five purchased......... 
I believe I transferred it to the 20H with the siphon when doing water changes.  I have lost a black Cory from that tank.  I saw it on him and within 3 hours he was toast.  I then saw saddle type spots on about 4 other black Corys but no one else in that tank, one had the first part of its dorsal eaten away about the size of a pinhead.  I treated with methylene blue and Furazone meds along with big water changes, as I'm a firm believer that clean water makes healthy fish and meds have a way of messing up the tank bacteria.  Hate to have them suffer from an ammonia spike also.....



Today I can only find two spots on two black Corys in the 20H and the fuzzed out dorsal spot on the one is completely gone.  Believe the Ancistrus spawned during all this............I swear with the reduced light from all the meds, the Ancistrus thought it was night for 3 days now!  The female has been out eating off the glass 24 hours a day.  I'm making sure I have enough food in there for her.
In the 36 gallon we've lost our first Danio...........I am especially stressed about this tank as its where my Corydoras Seussi, Eques, Caudimaculatus and L204 reside.  I am trying my best to sit tight, medicate and watch without stressing any of them for any reason.  So far so good.  Gave them a water change and new meds today, sit and wait..........try to breathe and not hover.

No comments:

Post a Comment