Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Spawns, egg collecting, worm ranching and goodbyes to common Corys


In this last week, the Ancistrus, C. aeneus and C. trilineatus all spawned.  I had added peat moss to my new outside canister filter and I think it was a hit ;)  I wasn't going to collect the aeneus eggs but watching the male BN Ancistrus mow through them was more then I could take.  Soooo, I scraped them into a net and placed them in the shrimp tank.  There is baby aeneus darting everywhere in there now :)









The few Ancistrus eggs that hadn't succumbed to fungus I also placed in the shrimp tank with the hopes of a few hatching.  I only had 2 eggs left this morning as you can see in the video up above.  I had NO idea that the ramshorn snails eat eggs.  I thought they only ate the eggs with fungus but I soon found out I was wrong.  They actually ate the yolk sack on the fry in the video up above!  It bled out and died.  I managed to save the one that hadn't hatched yet and removed him into a rubbermaid container until he's free swimming.  Meanwhile I am smashing and destroying ramshorns right and left!  The Corys think its a snail smorgasbord......



The trilineatus spawned mid day and I collected 19 eggs for their new owner Zach. Of course they were placed one by one all over the tank, only two were easy on the glass..........my neck still hurts LOL

Zach has purchased my 6 C. trilineatus and 4 C. aeneus breeders.  He's also graciously offered to take the rescued cichlid and nurse it back to health :)  Zach and I also are awaiting a new order of fish from the Wet Spot in Portland.  Zach ordered some Jack Dempseys and I'm getting in 6 Corydoras HaroldSchultzei, 4 more Corydoras Seussi and 4 Corydoras Similis.  I also went out on a limb and purchased a pair of Killifish.  Should prove interesting!






Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the micro worm ranch, the worms are exploding and fish are chowing down!  All of my fish love to seek and destroy these little guys, plus the fry are growing well having at least one meal of micro worms a day.  The Zebra Danio fry have great color and the now month old C. trilineatus are looking large and healthy :)  photo below



C. trilineatus at 4 weeks





















No comments:

Post a Comment