Monday, July 1, 2013

36 gallon bow front tank

At Petsmart I found a 36 gallon bow front tank kit.  I brought it home along with two bags of Flourite gravel and 3 C. Trilineatus.  I set the tank up in a southwestern facing window and promptly moved the 5 Australian Rainbows and 5 Zebra Danios into their new digs.  Both spawned the next morning and promptly ate each others eggs.........
C


The next day I decided to aquascape with a large broken clay strawberry pot and a big flat stone coming up with the above design of a mudhole.  Note to self:  Aquascape BEFORE you add the water........Flourite is some dirty substrate.  


I know, plants like dirt but YUCK look at that swamp!


I went onto a couple of sites and Ebay (waiting for my tank to clear up) purchasing some quality plants for the new aquarium.  I added a filter sponge out of the 20 gallon into the chamber of the new hang on back filter for the 36 gallon do add beneficial bacteria. And proceeded to rinse the filter media numerous times during the day to get the clear water you see below, after a day and a half.


Meanwhile, back in the 20 gallon tank, out appeared a red Sakura male shrimp.  Guess he felt safe after the (giant big mouthed eat anything that moves) Rainbows moved next door.  Made me wonder if he sat looking up at them through their new curved world (would sorta be like the view above) thinking "neener neener" as he picked through the leaves in his new found freedom.



No comments:

Post a Comment