Saturday, July 13, 2013

Progress And Rare Cory Purchases

 Its been just one day shy of two weeks since I added the new 36 gallon bow front tank .  During those two weeks I've ordered and received Corkscrew Vals, Regular Vals, among many other types of plants.  I will be posting a new photo in a few days.  I also just performed the first water change (50%), scraped algae off the back glass, added a nice topping of sand to the substrate, and moved the Nerite snails in to help with algae control.
Young female laying an egg into her fins
T position spawning
Mystery C. Aeneus
 Meanwhile back in the 20 gallon, in the last few weeks the C. Trilineatus decided to spawn.  They are still quite young and the female only laid one egg at a time probably laying 10 eggs in all.  They spawned again just today after a cool water change and laid 13 eggs total.  I was recently in Petco and spotted 3 starving young C. Trilineatus.  Of course I brought them home, along with another older large C. aeneus type male they said was up for "adoption".


From Don Petty, I have ordered an albino male Ancistrus for my very ripe female. I've also have 10 very young Corydoras sp. Black on order to be the permanent dwellers of the 36 gallon bow front.  Don has also offered to take the large Rainbows off my hands for his living room 120 gallon tank.  Guess this means the lone male Sakura shrimp won't be flipping them off from the tank next door anymore.  Don is taking pity on him and sending some women shrimps. This should be interesting as he just grew himself a nice new suit.  He was so excited the day he shed his old suit that he streaked around the tank the entire day convincing me he might go belly up........
As you can see in the photo above, I decided to give my corys in the 20 gallon some sand to play in.  At first they were hanging mid tank pretty convinced I was trying to kill them but after watching mystery Aeneus plow throw it like snow, they were all out front eating when the lights went out. 

I put in an order for a double 20 gallon long tank stand, some filters, air pumps, etc for my upcoming cory projects.  Petco $1 a gallon sale here I come!  I figure the 20 longs will provide some rearing tanks for my newly expected upcoming eventual fry.  Counting my eggs before they hatch!  Guess I better be on the look out for hard to find or rare cory buys........  Oh yeah! Just ordered some Corydoras Eques so that's two types of hard to find corys purchased in one month.  There's hope for me yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment